Coat of ArmsThe Worshipful Company of SaddlersThe Saddlers Company
The Development of the Company

It is known that the Company had adopted a shield bearing the device of a chevron between three saddles before Richard III, in order to rationalise and control the heraldry of England, established the College of Arms in 1484.

Nevertheless, in 1585 the Company approached Robert Cooke, then Clarenceux King of Arms, for confirmation of the right to display arms. Approval was duly issued on 20th October 1585, together with the grant of crest and supporters, and - unusually - two mottoes: 'Hold Fast, Sit Sure' and 'Our Trust Is In God'.

The Grant of Arms
The Grant of Arms

The original grant was lost when the first Hall was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. However, in 1989, a reconstruction of the original grant was prepared by the College of Arms and validated by Garter Principal King of Arms, Sir Colin Cole, who formally presented it to the Master at a dinner in Saddlers' Hall.

Today, the full achievement of arms is used only on the most formal occasions. Even when it is used, it is normal to show only the first motto 'Hold Fast, Sit Sure'.

 

Saddlers' Company Crest, with motto 'Our Trust Is In God'
Saddlers' Company Crest, with motto 'Our Trust Is In God'